The NYU Music Experience Design Lab (MusEDLab) researches and designs new technologies and experiences for music making learning and engagement together with students, educators, non-profit, and industry partners. We focus on lowering barriers to and promoting creative expressions of all people across the lifespan.
We offer contract design and consulting services to non-profit and industry partners sharing our expertise in arts education, technology, research and design. We implement a collaborative design process, engaging end users and commissioning partners throughout from initial concept brainstorms & designs, through to prototypes, play testing, and the final products. We also license our technologies to commercial and non-profit partners in the music, education, and media technology sectors.
Our Portfolio of Services
- Music experience design and curriculum design
- Creative music workshops for kids and novices of all ages
- Professional development workshops for educators and teaching artists
- Custom creative web application development (WebAudio, WebMIDI, Interactive visualizations)
- Interactive physical/digital product and installations
- Educational website development
- Educational research and evaluation
Contact Us! to learn more and inquire about our services.
The MusEDLab also serves as a creative incubator for student projects at NYU Steinhardt. We're co-located in NYU Steinhardt's educational technology incubator co-working space, staffed by New York City's StartEd Accelerator program. The MusEDLab was founded in September 2013 by S. Alex Ruthmann, and recently opened up a branch at NYU Shanghai in collaboration with the Program on Creativity and Innovation.
Learn more about the MusEDLab in Alex Ruthmann's TEDx talk...